School of Engineering Advising Policies
Download a copy of the School of Engineering Undergraduate Handbook for quick reference.
- Email is the preferred method of communication in SoE. Students contacting SoE advisors via email or voicemail should expect responses within 24 hours Monday through Friday. During peak advising periods, response times might be longer.
- Any SoE student who wishes to change to another engineering major must have at least a 2.0 term and cumulative GPA.
- Any student from outside SoE who wishes to declare an engineering major must complete Math 021 with a C- or better and have a least a 2.0 term and cumulative GPA.
- Other major-specific criteria may be considered during the major change process (ex. successfully completing CSE 020 when changing to computer science and engineering).
- Every student must bring a copy of his or her Audit to every meeting with an academic advisor in the School of Engineering. No exceptions.
- Students who are five or more minutes late to a scheduled appointment with their advisor will be asked to reschedule.
- The first step in registering for Independent Research (195) is having a discussion with the faculty member (not lecturer or TA) with whom you wish to work. Independent Research can be 1-4 units, depending on the amount of lab/research contact. The rule of thumb is one unit for every three hours per week of contact. Up to 4 units of Independent Research can be used for technical elective credit in engineering majors. Depending on the area of research and the faculty member involved, the prefix for Independent Research may include BIOE, CSE, ENVE, ME or MSE. You will need to download and complete the Independent Study form. Once you have filled out the form with your faculty advisor, bring the form to the SoE reception desk (SE2, room 315) to obtain the dean designee's signature. You will then be contacted to pick up your form for you to submit to the Students First Center.
- Students interested in studying abroad should contact UC Merced Study Abroad. Academic advisors will need at least two weeks to review and complete academic planning forms from the EAP office.
Courses Taken Outside UC Merced
- Each student who takes an engineering course at an institution outside UC Merced and wants it to count toward his or her major is required to complete the Course Approval Web form. Once a syllabus has been submitted, it may take up to four weeks to be reviewed before a student receives a decision. Contact your academic advisor for more information.
Undergraduate Graduation Application
- You should meet with your academic advisor at least one semester before you plan to complete your degree requirements. Please visit the registrar's website for the most up-to-date information regarding the Undergraduate Graduation Application.
Enrollment in Excess Units
- Students must apply for enrollment in excess units each semester. Approval for enrollment in more than 18 units is conditional and determined by the student’s academic advisor.
- Students must have a previous term and cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher to be considered for enrollment in more than 18 units in a single semester. GPA requirements might be higher for first-year students.